Visceral manipulation is a gentle, hands-on manual therapy used to help your internal organs (viscera) glide smoothly within your body.
It is based on the premise that free movement within the body is vital, and thus any restriction will adversely affect health. Your internal organs are surrounded by connective tissue that holds them in place in the body. Healthy connective tissue should move easily to allow organs to slide on each other when you rotate or flex your torso. In addition, your connective tissue should be loose enough to allow your stomach to expand when you eat, your lungs to open and accept air, your intestines to constrict and relax to move waste to your colon. Congested or inflamed connective tissue impedes these small but significant movements which creates visceral discomfort and dysfunction and can lead to restricted movement and pain in other parts of the body.
What does it help with?
- Scar Tissue and Adhesions (surgery – including C-section, side effects from medication or chemotherapy, etc.)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (postural issues, neck and joint pain, sciatica, etc.)
- Digestive Disorders (nausea, GERD, constipation, etc.)
- Emotional Issues (anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc.)
- Acute Disorders (injuries, concussions, etc.)
- Respiratory issues
- Vascular Issues
- Lymphatic Dysfunction
- And more
How does it work?
At Body Heal Therapy your therapist will do a thorough intake and assessment of your issues before treatment. Visceral Manipulation may be used as part of a bodywork session or as a stand-alone treatment.